Thursday, October 25, 2007

9 Myths about Being Single at Christmas

9 Myths About Being Single at Christmas

More than 48% of US households are headed by unmarried individuals. The American Association for Single People projects that by 2010, 47.2% of adults will be unmarried. Being single does not mean being alone, not does being in a couple for the holidays insure happiness. Let s dispel some myths!

Myth: Single people are lonely at Christmas.

Reality: No moreso than anyone else. This is a projection of people who fear being alone for the holidays, a fear of the unknown.

Myth: Single people need you to invite them over to your celebration.

Reality: Contrary to perceptions, single people are v. popular at Christmas, and we generally receive lots of invitations. If you want us over, invite us, but because you like us, not because you think we need it.

Myth: Single people don t know what to do for the holidays.

Reality: On the contrary, we are used to planning our social lives actively, good at generating options, and used to making unilateral decisions. We re pros!

Myth: Single people are available to perform certain social tasks during the holiday celebration.

Reality: We like to be cherished guests. We don t like to be the steer among the bulls invited to get people who don t get along off of one another s throats. If you don t like your family and friends, why would we? Can you come over and help out with Aunt Edna? is not an invitation.

Myth: Single people are available to do certain physical tasks during the holiday celebration.

Reality: Nor is this an invitation: It s John s in-laws and I want to impress them. Can you come over and help with the hors d oeuvres? As best-friend, yes; as the only working-guest, absolutely not.

Myth: Single people are misfits, outsiders.

Reality: On the contrary, most of us have highly developed Emotional Intelligence skills; that s the reason we get the rescue us invitations! Outsiders? It s about half the adult world.

Myth: If a single person isn t part of a couple, or doesn t spend Christmas with a couple or family, they will be miserable.

Reality: Come on now. Is it so horrible to celebrate Christmas on a cruise to the Caribbean, coming back rested, tanned and relaxed?

Myth: The only happy way to spend the holidays is if you are a couple or part of a family.

Reality: If that were so, half the articles on the Internet this time of year wouldn t be about how to cope with the annual holiday dinner with the relatives, and the divorce rate in the US wouldn t be 50%.

Myth: Single people have nowhere to go for the holidays.

Reality: Nowhere to go? We have everywhere to go! I loved my years as Mrs. Santa. Now I m on-the-go. I m thinking about Germany this year. There are so many places to go I can t decide!!

In fact I have so many neat ideas for spending Christmas on-your-own, if you re stuck email me!

Susan Dunn, www.susandunn.cc, helps women attract their dream mate, and get married. She is Attract Your Dream Man Expert for a major website, and the author of DATING SUCCESS MANUAL FOR WOMEN, www.webstrategies.cc/ebooklibrary.html.

One-time coaching sessions are fine - by phone or email. Email me at sdunn@susandunn.cc .

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you kidding me? Whoever wrote this is off their rocker and has never been single during the holidays

Anonymous said...

haha
lucky her
i wish
no one invites me because most ppl i know are married and they spend it with their spouses and kids

and its not the time of the year to intrude on a family gathering

the single people i do know go out of town to visit their parents

when there are parties, being the uncoupled person means there is a lot of hanging around alone as everyone is interacting with their partners/dates
and while being alone is ok, its sort of not fun to celebrate ALONE

Noon said...

I tend to like this article. I can relate to it very well. I am always being invited and have to often choose which functions to go to. I have been blessed with amazing friends and family members that I am never really singled out.
I won't lie, it would be great to be with someone, until that man stops dating the wrong person I am enjoying my life, and doing what I love most ...

chelsea j said...

Honestly, I would hate to spend xmas alone. I mean, who else would buy you presents? And pretty much everyone I know are couples, or single parents, there is no one else alone. And I would end up being the third wheel. So not fun, very awkward. I'm glad that this year I am able to visit family, and have a boy friend.

Anonymous said...

there are only two options for spouses and kids in reality-- you will watch them die or they will watch you die. you can surround yourself with "meat theater" but be prepared for sorrow at some point.

Anna said...

I'm 28 and single. I normally spend xmas with my very happy loud family but my parents split this year and we're smack in the middle of a nasty divorce - Xmas this year wont just be single but also no family - some ideas for good holiday spots would be more than welcome :)

Anonymous said...

Not many people know this, but Christmas is actually a religious occasion. You don't need to be part of a couple to find opportunities for prayer, worship, and spiritual growth. And maybe even do a few acts of kindness for those less fortunate.
And ya know what? The more generous, kind, and spiritually deep you become, the more attractive you are!

Anonymous said...

I say get out of town safely & let the groups road rage each other to there gatherings. Only then to leave drunk & behind the wheel with the kids in the back seat. As far as the article it opened a new perception & how much freedom I have & not to be locked down to having to be around family members who have borrowed money never paying back or let me down some other way.

Anonymous said...

Im single and i have no friends or family let me know how can i do for xmas

Anonymous said...

Christmas sucks for the single person. It is family time. And being single definitely makes you feel like either a charity case or an outsider. But even worse than Christmas for the single person is New Years Eve. Nothing worse than going to a party full of couples who all have someone to kiss at the stroke of midnight. And travel at this time of year is outrageously expensive. Nope, this time of year sucks.

Anonymous said...

The key to surviving the 'winter holidays' from Thanksgiving to Valentines Day is to PLAN AHEAD! You know they're coming so look for events you can go to so that it doesn't seen so lonesome to you. Lot of community and senior centers do cool stuff that don't require you be part of a couple. Life's too short to spend it feeling sorry for oneself for not being married.